OMT: A Truly Unique Hands on Approach to Patient Care
Jessica Kelner, D.O. - June 4, 2018
Nearly every day, we are discovering new breakthroughs in medicine including powerful machines that help diagnose disease and drugs that treat some of the most deadly conditions that ail us. With our focus on these wonders, it's easy to forget that sometimes what patients really need is a healing touch. Osteopathic physicians haven't forgotten.
Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment, or OMT, is hands on care. This "healing touch" utilizes the hands to diagnose injury and illness, alleviate pain, and promote healing through through encouraging the body's natural ability to heal itself.
An important principle of Osteopathic Medicine is the body's ability to heal itself. Many techniques and practices of OMT reduce or eliminate road-blocks in the body that would then allow for proper structure and function. Once removed, the self-healing mechanism can assume its role in restoring a person to health.
OMT is a cornerstone to a D.O’s practice. It affords your physician the ability to use their hands to not only diagnose your issue, but also to relieve your pain or issue the very same day you are seeing them. OMT helps balance the body’s interconnected system of muscles, nerves, and bones that leads to overall improvement of health.
What should I expect with Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment?
Dr. Kelner will utilize techniques that move your muscles and joints such as stretching, gentle pressure and resistance to promote healing and increase mobility.
How long has Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment been used as a medical treatment?
Osteopathic medicine, founded in the late 1800s, provides all of the benefits of modern medicine including prescription medications, surgery, and the use of technology to diagnose disease and evaluate injury, according to the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM).
What types of conditions does OMT treat?
OMT is not only effective in treating muscle or joint pain, but is also beneficial in treating other health issues such as asthma, carpal tunnel, migraines, menstrual pain and more!
Through this hands-on treatment, OMT helps each person achieve a higher level of wellness by focusing on health promotion and disease prevention.
While there are endless benefits from OMT, here are our top 5:
5 Benefits of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment
1. Relieves pain from headaches, joint pain, or back pain.
2. Reduces symptoms from menstrual cramps, sinus disorders, asthma and much more!
3. Improves balance and motor coordination.
4. Normalizes breathing and respiratory function. Getting oxygen into your body is super important for your health.
5. Improves sleep quality and can eliminate insomnia.
- The body can heal itself. This is a core part of the Osteopathic Philosophy. OMT allows the body to achieve maximum healing by removing restrictions in the body so that proper structure and function can resume. This means you will heal faster and be less likely to have injuries in the future.
- OMT balances your nervous system and normalizes its function. Proper function of your brain and spinal cord is vital for you to feel your best. There are times where this system can get compressed, which can lead to issues such as anxiety, pain, headaches, fatigue, fogginess, and even sometimes hormonal imbalances. Through treatment with OMT, your nervous system can be properly balanced to allow for maximum blood flow and nerve transmission.
- Increases self awareness. Through OMT, most patients start to become more aware of their body. After OMT, the body is in balance. Patients report a sense of freedom and "lightness" to their body that wasn't there before. When their tissues become restricted in the future or the body becomes out of balance, patient's are much more likely to notice these changes.
Interested in learning more or scheduling you initial consultation? Please call us at 720-370-9559 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org